The European Workshop on Epitaxial Graphene and 2D Materials (EWEG/2D'2014) has taken place in the Croatian Adriatic coastline right before summer 2014, from the 15th to the 19th of June.
The aim of EWEG/2D'2014 was
- to intensify the discussion on the topics of epitaxial 2D crystals, either extended or nanosized, including graphene, boron nitride, dichalcogenides, silicene, and covalent organic or metalorganic networks,
- to explore new links between the different subfields involved, and
- to pinpoint unsolved and controversial issues.
The workshop will bring together leading experts and young researchers involved in surface science studies of the structural and physical properties, in the production of 2D crystals from metallic supports (including device fabrication), and in theoretical investigations.
The workshop has awarded two prices, one for the best contributed talk (sponsored by American Elements) and one for the best poster (sponsored by NEVAC). The recipients are:
- Aran Garcia Lekue, for her talk entitled "Electron scattering and spin polarization at graphene edges on Ni(111)",
- Iva Šrut Rakić, for her poster entitled "Effects of uniaxial structural modulation on graphene's elec- tronic structure".